Detailing and Cleaning
Cat-Back Exhaust System Installation
I'm writing this Cat Back install up AFTER doing one myself and making quite a mess. This is not how I did it, but it's how I'm going to do the next ones!
Procedure:Stock system removal:
1) Set parking brake, and put car in neutral or park
2) Raise and support rear of car, use jackstands to hold car up safely.
3) Put your protective eyewear on, and crawl under the car.
4) Soak all 5 rubber hangers. There's one near the tailpipe, one up and under the rear suspension, one attached to the middle muffler (look up under the muffler, it's there), and two near the flexpipe flange up toward the engine.
5)Take your reciprocating saw, and cut the exhaust somewhere close to the rear suspension, between the middle muffler and suspension preferably
6)Using the screwdriver to pry with, carefully remove the rear resonator and tailpipe. Be careful when prying with the scewedriver, you can injure yourself. do not rip or damage the rubber hangers, they will be used to hang the aftermarket exhaust system later on.
7)You may wish to lower the rear of the car and raise the front for the following steps.
8)Crawl up near the flex pipe flange, and cut the bolts off with the dremel cutoff wheel. This could take some time, patience, and you may break or wear down as many as 4 or 5 cutoff discs per bolt. Your best bet is to cut across the bolt first, turning it into a "stump" and then cutting perpendicular to the flange, to cut the whole nut and bolt in half. This will get the bolt and nut off without any problems. If the nut doesn't split and fall off, then use the screwdriver in the groove you made to help pry the nut off. If that doesn't work, keep grinding on it with the dremel. See diagram:
9) Once removed, separate the stock exhaust from the flex pipe, and pull the remaining parts from the rubber hangers, and pull the whole exhaust system out.
10) Carefully remove the steel flange gasket from the stock system.
Aftermarket system replacement (used magnaflow as an example:)
You should be all set! Lower the car, and fire her up!
comments powered by Disqus